Saturday, March 26, 2011

CLOUD NINE

I recently developed my Christmas pictures which included photos of my husband’s first flying lesson. The lesson was a gift from our thoughtful son and BDIL (beautiful daughter-in-law).   My son told us that he had read an article that explained it’s the “experience” associated with a gift that makes the present extra special.  Using this idea he thought beyond the wrapping paper and in a gesture of kindness, he gave his Dad something every father values – the gift of spending time with his son doing something fun.

So it came about on a sunny Saturday morning my husband’s dream of becoming a pilot came true.  He spent an hour soaring with the eagles and navigating the clear blue skies around fluffy white clouds.  My son and I sat in the backseat of the little Cessna 172 enjoying an aerial view of our hometown.  It was a wonderful day and my husband did very well at the controls.  He was especially pleased when the instructor exclaimed over his exceptional landing; and it would have been flawless landing except for the little wind bump that caused the plane to swerve slightly when touching down on the tarmac.

It is enjoyable watching father and son share many of the same interests.  They both like the same activities and their experiences continue to bond their friendship in our son’s adult years, too.  However, raising a boy was a unique experience for me.  I am the oldest of my parent’s four daughters and became familiar with the notion that the male perspective was a birth right after I married and became a mother. 

When my son was a four-year-old we joined my sister and her children at the local movie theater to see the rerun of Disney’s Cinderella.  As we were watching the lively animation of cute animals frolicking and fussing about as they dressed Cinderella for the Ball my son suddenly stood up and announced, “Let’s get out of here.  There are too many girls and too much pink in this show!”  My sister laughed and asked me what I had done to produce such a reaction from him.  I told her that comment was the Campbell side of the family talking.

His protests were overcome when Prince Charming came on the scene and presented a male presence amongst all the pastel images and flowery songs.  My husband and I enjoyed raising our son and now we are on “cloud nine” because we are enjoying a bit of a fairy tale story ourselves – our son married “Cinderella” and the newlyweds are living happily ever after!

1 comment:

  1. Pink took on a whole new meaning when our Clif met Alece!

    ReplyDelete