Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving



*Over the river, and through the wood — 
   When Grandmother sees us come, 
      She will say, Oh dear, 
      The children are here, 
   Bring a pie for everyone.

My first Thanksgiving as a grandmother! We are measuring time in weeks now, our grandson is nine weeks old, but soon enough we will say months then years.  Now holidays, birthdays, family reunions, births and deaths will become part of his timeline.

People ask what is like becoming a grandmother.  I am summarizing it this way – it is a longing.  It is the most sincere deep feeling that cannot be satisfied until I see him again.  It is love.

This revelation has deepened my faith.  I have a broader appreciation that the goodness of the Lord is unfathomable.  The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases.  Jesus understands longing. He was born in a stable, died on the cross and sits at the right hand of God making intercession for us. 

I am full of thanksgiving for a wonderful life.  A life blessed with longing.  I yearn to taste and see that the Lord is good.  I want to seek His mercy when forging lasting friendships through joy and tribulation.  I want my grandson to know he is cherished.

It is time to move on to poetic reality.  I need to stop the puppy from chewing my husband’s socks and wash the breakfast dishes.  My father-in-law is coming over today.  The house is strewn with the remains of the day, and yesterday.  We are having a trim-a-tree party on Friday.

Life is busy.  Although, I am grateful to be old enough to appreciate time for contemplation – and the good taste to enjoy a delicious piece of pie!

*Over the River and Through the Wood by Lydia Maria Child

No comments:

Post a Comment