Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hoarder with Borders


Hoarder – My newlywed son stopped by the house the other day and during his visit he called me a “hoarder”.  Hey, I’ve watched that show!  The only place we have paths around stuff is in the garage where the remains of his bachelor pad has taken residence.   When BDIL (beautiful daughter-in-law) and son moved into their apartment there was some discussion involving the items in our garage, but moving any of it to the new place was dismissed when BDIL associated the smell of the bachelor pad with the objects.  No way was she moving any of it into their lovely HGTV fragrantly decorated abode.

And why should brides accept any less than panache?  They have department store registries that can accommodate every design concept imaginable.  Newlyweds start out with as many possessions as it took us thirty years to amass.  I have to wonder, will my daughter-in-law ever feel sentimental about my life-long collections?  I hope so.  However, I have realistic expectations because of a set of dishes my neighbor gave me.  My neighbor inherited her mother-in-law’s household items and considered it “all wrong” for her home by dismissing it as her husband’s mother’s stuff.  She opened her garage and readily gave away crystal, Franciscan dishes and other decorative things to the neighbors.  A free garage sale – I’m there!

This happened twenty years ago and it was an important lesson learned.  If one man’s trash is considered another man’s treasure; then we all have a chance our valuables will have homes someday.  That’s a happy thought.  And since my BDIL has challenged me to get 5,000 on Facebook, I think it would be nice to give her a consolation prize –maybe a little keepsake out of the garage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment