Saturday, October 2, 2010

VAMPIRE FANGS – REALLY?



FANG FAD – Okay, I have lived long enough to see a few fads come and go.  I remember when Dark Shadows was a popular soap opera.  The show had a vampire and love interests, but we never had the urge to identify with the blood-thirsty character!  What’s up with the vampire fangs?   Sixteen year old girls think it is sexy to have them and to make things weirder, their moms seem to think it looks good, too.

The news article I read said the girl loves the vampire movies but that she wasn’t a huge obsessive person but definitely influenced by them.   Really, not obsessive?  Just rearranged her entire lifestyle to look like a bat out of hell.

Flash forward twenty years when the daughter is looking at pictures of herself flashing the pointy teeth smile.

“Mom, what were you thinking?!” the horrified daughter asks. 

“Well, honey, you thought it was cool to have teeth that looked like you wanted to suck the blood out of someone’s neck”, replies the mother.

“And you let me do it?  And you paid $1600, too?” says the astonished daughter.

I don’t know about this trend.  As if there aren’t enough things that our kids can hold against us for their supposedly deprived childhoods!  My husband and I had a traditional, rather conservative approach to teeth – spend money on practical upgrades such as dental hygiene and braces.  And I guess it paid off in the long run. Our son has a beautiful smile and so does our BDIL (beautiful daughter-in-law).  Their pearly whites shine in the wedding pictures!  I guess my son will have to find something else to hold against me – but at least he doesn’t look like Barnabus Collins!


No comments:

Post a Comment